Exercise and healthy eating habits are important steps in taking care of yourself. However, protecting your skin is too. Your skin is your largest organ and it is visible to everyone. When your skin is unhealthy, you look older, tired, or angry. You can develop premature lines, wrinkles, bags, and uneven skin tone and texture. It is never too late to start taking proper care of your skin. For patients near Melville, NY, Dr. Roger Koreen of Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Center explain why quality skin care is important.
Skin care benefits
Keeping your skin healthy is part of good overall health care. When you look good, you feel good. Good skin care is not just for women or just for adults. Men, women, and teenagers benefit from using appropriate products and therapies designed for their skin. Sun and environmental exposure, the aging process, hormonal changes, and genetics play a role in the health and quality of the skin.
Your skin is exposed to environmental elements every day. Over time, the damaging agents take a toll on your skin. Treatments and therapies with a trained professional protect the skin against fine lines, wrinkles, dull skin, and breakouts. Skin conditions such as acne and rosacea can be battled and maintained with a proper regimen as well. By consulting a dermatologist, you can be sure you are getting the correct products and treatments for your skin type.
Taking care of your skin does not mean simply cleansing and moisturizing at home. While this is a big part of quality care, treatments and therapies help maintain your skin. Maintenance regimens may include microdermabrasion, chemical peels, or laser treatments. These treatments help with exfoliation, clean out pores, and improve the skin tone and texture. Treatments such as Botox and cosmetic fillers also improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Certain treatments may also restore collagen for better skin tone.
We Are always available to help you.... Call Us TodayNew Patients: (631) 417-3300 | Existing Patients: (631) 421-4398 Book an Appointment
Quality skincare products and therapies address and treat the following problems:
- Signs of aging
- Lines and wrinkles
- Uneven tone or texture
- Broken capillaries
Keep your skin healthy and glowing with the following tips:
- Wear sunscreen! The sun’s rays are damaging year-round, not just on sunny summer days. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher daily to exposed skin. Chronic sun exposure increases the risks of skin cancer, premature skin aging, and dull skin.
- Avoid tanning beds. Ultraviolet light from tanning beds is considered to be more dangerous than the Mediterranean sun. A few minutes in a tanning bed is equivalent to a few hours in the sun.
- Know your skin type. Proper skincare products make a huge difference. There are many different skin types and textures. The skin may be normal, oily, dry, or a combination. Acne and aging play a role in choosing products as well. Ask your dermatologist and skin care professionals for assistance in finding the proper skincare products and how to use them.
- Cleanse your skin. Although you may be tired in the mornings or before bed, do not forget to wash your face. Dirt, oils, makeup, and bacteria build-up throughout the day and clog your pores. Establish a good regimen to keep your skin clear.
- Moisturize. Regardless of your skin type, you need to moisturize your skin to keep it glowing. Moisturizers keep the skin hydrated, protecting it from becoming too dry. They hold water in the outermost layer of the skin and act as an added barrier against toxins.
- Release your stress. Stress is hard on the body and can cause skin disorders and breakouts. Try to find a stress management system that works for you.
- Check your skin each month. Skin cancer is visible. Make it part of your routine each month to look for changes or problems. If you have areas of concern, contact your dermatologist for early diagnosis and treatment.
- Do not smoke. Not only is smoking bad for your body as a whole, but it also causes your skin to look older. Smoking contributes to the formation of lines and wrinkles.
Your skin is your largest, most visible organ. It needs maintenance and protection. Contact Dr. Koreen and the team at the Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Center near Melville, NY for more information on why quality skin care is important. Call (631) 417-3300.