While many people associate acne and blemishes with the teenage years, the reality is that this skin condition can strike at any time in your life, and when it does, it can leave lingering scars that last for many years after the breakouts are gone. At the Dermatology & Cosmetic Laser Center in Huntington, NY, Dr. Roger Koreen understands the impact that acne scars can have not just on how your skin looks, but also how you feel about yourself and your appearance. With PicoSure® laser treatment, you can leave your acne scars in the past and move forward with fresh, healthy skin and a renewed sense of confidence.
What causes acne and acne scars?
With an estimated 85 percent of Americans experiencing acne in some form by the age of 24, it is a condition that many of us are all too familiar with. But myths surrounding what causes acne are as common as the condition itself! At its core, acne is caused by bacteria, oil, or dead skin that have become trapped in your skin’s hair follicles and pores, where they lead to inflammation and irritation. When this happens, a pimple forms. This can occur anywhere on the body, but most people develop acne on their face, neck, upper back, or chest. Hormonal changes, excess oil production, stress, and other factors can all increase the likelihood that pimples will develop.
There are several different types of pimples that can develop, and the type of pimples that you have can lead to different types of permanent scars after the pimple itself is long gone. Scars develop because the acne has affected both the superficial and deeper layers of the skin, and the body is unable to repair the damage:
- Atrophic scars – flat or shallow, depressed scars that are most commonly formed by cystic acne
- Ice pick scars – small, narrow indentations that occur most frequently on the cheeks
- Boxcar scars – broad depressions in the skin that have defined edges, typically found on the jaw or lower cheeks
- Rolling scars – sloping and uneven scars that can make your skin look wavy
- Hypertrophic and keloid scars – raised areas of scar tissue where the acne breakout occurred
In addition, hyperpigmentation (dark spots) can occur in areas where you have had acne breakouts, causing an uneven skin tone. While these spots will go away on their own over time with good sun protection, they can linger for much longer than many patients would like.
PicoSure laser treatment for acne scars
For patients who are seeking a cure for acne scars, PicoSure laser treatment can be the answer they are seeking. It is the only FDA-approved treatment currently available for acne scars, and works by delivering ultra-short bursts (trillionths of a second) of concentrated energy to the targeted areas on the skin. Once the energy is transferred to the scarred area, the light energy is converted to pressure waves that signal the cells to break apart the scar tissue into small pieces that your body can reabsorb through natural elimination processes. At the same time, new healthy skin cells will form, replacing the old scar tissue with a youthful and uniform network of collagen and elastin. The end result is a more even, healthy complexion.
Benefits of PicoSure treatment
Patients choose PicoSure laser therapy for acne scars for many reasons. It is:
- Fast – the typical session only lasts about ten minutes and can be done on your lunch break
- Comfortable – patients report minimal discomfort, and liken it to a mild stinging; we can use a topical numbing agent if you have sensitive skin to ensure your comfort
- Safe – there are few side effects and patients have next to no downtime; your skin will look pink for a few hours after treatment, but it subsides quickly and you are free to wear makeup the day after your treatment
- Youth-promoting – in addition to reducing the appearance of acne scars, the new collagen and elastin network that the treatment stimulates in your skin can also help your skin look younger and healthier
Am I a good candidate?
PicoSure laser treatment is a good option for most skin types and patients who have suffered from acne scarring. Dr. Koreen will perform an in-depth evaluation of your skin and talk with you about your treatment goals to help you determine whether PicoSure is right for you. Dr. Koreen has a wealth of experience and training to help patients achieve their skin goals, and will discuss the optimal number of treatments for your specific needs.
To schedule your consultation, call the Dermatology & Cosmetic Laser Center in Huntington, NY today at (631) 417-3300!