None of us are capable of escaping the natural aging process. As we grow older, our skin will naturally become thinner and less elastic. We will notice fine lines and wrinkles as a result of the aging process, and existing birthmarks, scars, and moles may also change with time. The aging process may be natural, but there are factors that can accelerate the aging of our skin, the primary factor being sun damage.
Many of us enjoy the outdoors. Yet time spent under the sun can mean excessive exposure to UV rays that results in, premature aging, not to mention an increased risk of skin cancer. The aging that is caused by UV exposure is referred to as photoaging. This type of aging is associated with dry, leathery skin, discoloration, rough texture, and deep wrinkles.
Damaging on its own, sun exposure has an increased effect on aging skin. Though there are numerous skin care products available to combat the signs of aging and the effects of sun damage, topical solutions may not be effective in every situation. Sometimes, what is needed is specialized treatment.
Treating sun damaged skin
There are several considerations we make when we design treatment for photoaging, including:
- The age, health, and medical history of the patient
- The severity of damage present on the skin
- The type of damage caused by sun exposure
- The patient’s tolerance and preferences
Laser therapy is a wonderful way to treat sun damaged skin. Safe and effective, this type of treatment can be combined with chemical peels and other skin-improving procedures to achieve dramatic results.
There are various lasers that can be used to improve the look and feel of the skin. Photodynamic therapy, which directs pulses of intense light to skin treated with a photosensitizing agent, has been shown in clinical trials to be an excellent choice for the treatment of problems associated with varying degrees of sun damage. Laser treatment for sun damaged skin offers several benefits, including:
- Noticeable improvement after a single treatment
- Non-ablative, non-invasive treatment is virtually painless
- Sessions are completed in just a few minutes
- Excellent outcomes from treatment
- Customized care through multiple treatments
Lasers are effective at addressing a wide range of concerns related to sun damage without requiring down time for recovery. These gentle treatments allow patients to resume normal activities right away. Depending on the extent of damage identified during the initial consultation, we may recommend multiple treatment sessions for optimal results.
The effects of the sun and age does not have to leave you dissatisfied with your skin. Contact our office to learn more about our skin-improving treatments.
- Local Dermatologist Smithtown - Visit a local dermatologist in the Smithtown area to improve sun damaged skin with laser therapy
- Laser Treatment For Sun Damaged Skin Near Huntington - Laser treatment may be ideal for sun-damaged skin for patients near Huntington