As we age, our skin can start to dramatically change. To combat this, a good skin care program can turn back the hands of time, revealing younger-looking, healthy skin. At our dermatology practice, the Dermatology & Cosmetic Laser Center in Huntington, NY, we offer many cosmetic and restorative procedures designed to enhance or repair the appearance of skin, but we don’t stop there.
Products vs. habits
Yes, it’s true; skin care products can do a lot to diminish lines and wrinkles and improve the tone of your skin, however, healthy habits can be just as important. We offer a wide variety of creams, serums, and lotions that we can recommend based upon your skin type and individual needs. We tout the benefits of healthy skin care habits, as they can:
- Clear up your complexion
- Help improve the signs of aging
- Reduce skin cancer risk
So, what are some of these healthy habits we are talking about? Below are just a few things you can do that will make a significant difference.
- Sun protection – While we all know it’s enjoyable to be outside on a beautiful day, sun exposure has a profound impact on our skin. To properly protect yourself from harmful UV rays, you can:
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 30 every day.
- Seek shade whenever possible, especially during the peak times of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wear protective clothing such as hats, long sleeved shirts, and pants whenever possible.
- Wear daily moisturizer – Our skin dries out as we age, which leads to lines and wrinkles. Hydrating moisturizer keeps our skin looking younger.
- Quit Smoking – Not only is smoking bad for your health, but it can also dry out your skin and lead to premature lines and wrinkles.
- Eat a healthy diet – A balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats help keep the skin healthy.
- Get plenty of sleep – During sleep is when our body refreshes and renews, which can keep your skin healthier.
For more healthy skin tips, visit: www.drkoreen.com.