The skin is the largest, most visible organ. It must be properly cared for and protected. Located in Huntington, NY, Dr. Roger Koreen of Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Center offers a range of medical and cosmetic dermatology services to give patients healthy, glowing skin. When it comes to acne, scarring can leave a lasting impact. Even after the breakouts clear, patients may be plagued by pits or depressions in their skin. Laser treatment for acne scars helps smooth the skin to improve the tone and texture.
Formation of acne scars
Patients suffering from acne understand that breakouts can cause long-lasting effects. Preventing acne breakouts lessens the initial frustration and the risk of scarring. Patients who get recurrent acne or cystic acne need medical help to control the condition and to improve the skin. Our team offers customized plans with various acne treatments to suit each patient’s skin type and needs.
There are multiple types of acne; however, cystic acne is the form that most commonly leads to permanent acne scarring. Cystic acne can affect teenagers, men, and women. Affected areas include the face, chest, back, arms, and shoulders. When breakouts form, the area is full of bacteria and dead skin cells. The area becomes red, swollen, and tender. Cysts or pimples that burst lead to additional breakouts and infections.
With any acne, the first rule is not to pick or pop pimples. This damages the skin, spreads bacteria and worsens acne. The risk of scarring increases. Collagen, which is a crucial building block of the skin, breaks down when the skin is damaged. Popping or picking at breakouts spreads the bacteria and causes infections. The body’s response system is forced to kick in and repair the damage. However, the tissue produced may be different than the skin’s current texture. This results in the appearance of scars.
Laser treatment for acne scars
While topical products can help control acne outbreaks and may treat the inflammation or hyperpigmentation caused by breakouts, more intensive treatment is needed for acne scars. Every scar and every patient is different. Scars may vary based on age, size, shape, thickness, and color. This means the same treatment may not work for each patient or each scar. For some patients, a single therapy shows significant improvement in the texture and color of the scar. For others, a combination or series of treatments is necessary to achieve optimal improvement. A consultation is necessary to determine the most appropriate treatment for your skin type and scars.
Laser treatments are popular ways to repair and rejuvenate the skin. Laser resurfacing is one of the most effective ways to treat acne scars. In a very precise and controlled procedure, the top layer of the skin is removed. Through the healing process, the damaged cells are removed. Collagen production is stimulated as the skin repairs and heals itself. Collagen is one of the building blocks of the skin. It is a fibrous protein that gives the skin its structure and support. Rebuilding the body’s collagen is an important part of restoring natural beauty. The new tissues that are produced form a tighter, smoother surface. The appearance of pits and pockmarks from scars is reduced. The result is smoother, brighter skin.
We Are always available to help you.... Call Us TodayNew Patients: (631) 417-3300 | Existing Patients: (631) 421-4398 Book an Appointment
Benefits of laser treatments include the following:
- Although the results are immediate, the skin continues to improve as it heals. Full results are found about 2-3 months after the final treatment. At this time, the old, damaged tissues have been replaced with new collagen and elastin.
- Patients achieve smoother, younger-looking skin with improved tone and texture.
- Protecting the skin with sunscreen and following the post-care guidelines produces long-lasting results.
- Laser treatments can be performed alone for acne scars or in combination with additional therapies.
- When performed under the direction of a medical professional, the treatment has minimal risks. It is safe and effective. Minimal side effects may include redness and swelling which are temporary.
- In addition to treating acne scars, lasers treat lines, wrinkles, age spots, and brown spots to produce rejuvenated skin with more even tone and texture.