Historically, melanoma has been the form of skin cancer that most people fear. In truth, any form of skin cancer is very concerning. Dr. Roger Koreen has been providing patients of all ages with focused care for many years. In our practice, we provide skin cancer treatment in a meticulous manner, tailoring care to the needs of each patient. Additionally, patients who visit our Huntington, NY office benefit from instructions that will assist them in preventing and detecting signs of skin cancer.
Some of the factors that determine the way skin cancer is treated include:
- General health
- The type and stage of skin cancer detected
- The potential for aggressiveness
- The area of the body where skin cancer has developed
In addition to the consequences of skin cancer, one of the aspects of diagnosis that may cause anxiety is the belief that surgery is the only option for treatment. At the Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Center, treatment for this disease may involve surgical removal. However, there is also the possibility that a lesion detected early can be treated in with non-surgical therapy such as:
- Topical chemotherapy, in which abnormal cells are targeted with application of a prescribed medication
- Cryosurgery is a non-surgical procedure that freezes abnormal cells with liquid nitrogen
- Photodynamic therapy, or light therapy, is often used to treat pre-cancerous lesions called actinic keratosis. This in-office procedure involves the application of medication to the affected area. We allow this to be absorbed for a few hours, and then target abnormal cells with light.
- Topical immunotherapy may be prescribed as an adjunct to other therapies, working in concert with the body’s natural healing capacity.
Years of clinical practice and a clear understanding that each patient has unique needs makes Dr. Koreen a wonderful resource for patients with skin cancer. When you visit us, you receive a high level of care through which optimal results are achieved. Throughout your diagnosis and treatment, we are here to support you and answer any questions you have.
Don’t let skin cancer sneak up on you. Schedule your annual skin cancer screening at (631) 417-3300.
Skin cancer treatment doesn’t always mean surgery. Call the Huntington, NY office of Dr. Roger Koreen to learn about photodynamic therapy. (631) 417-3300.Back to Skin Cancer Page