There are various types of skin cancer, and each is concerning to your dermatologist. Dr. Roger Koreen is a board certified dermatologist with a more than twenty-year career. One of his primary focuses is helping his patients learn how to identify potentially suspicious growths so that treatment may begin as early as possible. In our office, we offer excellent melanoma and other skin cancer treatment to residents of Huntington and surrounding areas. Care is tailored to the individual, and takes into consideration factors such as:
- What type of skin cancer has been detected
- Where the skin cancer is located on the body
- How aggressive the skin cancer may be
- What stage skin cancer is currently in
- The general health of the patient
Dr. Koreen may choose from a variety of skin cancer treatments to treat a suspicious lesion. Most often, surgery is the treatment option thought to apply to skin cancer, but this is not always the case. In addition to the excision of a potentially cancerous growth, non-surgical options may also be considered depending on the characteristics of the lesion.
The non-surgical treatment of any skin cancer is most efficient when abnormality has been detected very early. Some of the options for treatment at this point include:
- Cryosurgery, which is not really a surgical procedure, but the freezing of abnormal cells using medical grade liquid nitrogen
- Immunotherapy, which works with the body’s natural immunity to respond to cancer cells and it includes the application of prescription medication to the affected skin.
- Topical chemotherapy is also the application of prescription medication, only this type is designed to destroy abnormal cells
- Photodynamic therapy is the application of medication followed by special light on the area for an hour or two, which is capable of destroying cancer cells.
Dr. Roger Koreen provides individualized care, understanding that every person’s skin is unique. In our Huntington dermatology practice, patients can feel confident knowing they will receive outstanding care backed by decades of experience. To schedule your consultation with Dr. Koreen, call (631) 417-3300.Back to Skin Cancer Page